Wednesday, December 7, 2011

“What is Communication”?






If you were to consider the amount of communication that transpired electronically this year, you may argue that we are indeed great communicators. Here are some statistics that I googled today:



Tweets – 107,639 per minute
Face book posts – 2,716,00 in 20 minutes
Emails – averaged 294 billion each day
Text messages – 7 trillion from 4.8 billion mobile phones this year.

Interestingly, the most googled phrase this year was “what is love”? But what I would like to ask is, “what is communication”? While we clearly have a penchant for electronic communication, when it comes down to face to face communication with our fellow humans we don’t seem to be so willing.

For instance, as I walk past my colleagues at the same time each morning, very few will even look at me let alone say a greeting, Even though I have known them for years…and this upsets me! I have noticed also that as I pass the same neighbours each day, I endeavour to smile and greet them and again little or no response, this too makes me sad. Actually, I had one neighbour I use to pass each morning when I took my dog for a walk. We seemed to meet at a very narrow bridge each day, and we would practically touch each other as we passed and yet do you think this man would respond to my ‘good mornings’???

I was beginning to wonder if it was just me! Then I recalled a wonderful insightful poem written and recited by Maya Angelou at the inauguration of Bill Clinton in 1993.
Whereby she powerfully and symbolically expresses the nuances of the human condition with poignant poetic prose,and touches on the many issues that impact on us, but what touched me the most was her conclusion:

Here on the pulse of this new day
You may have the grace to look up and out
And into your sister's eyes, into
Your brother's face, your country
And say simply
Very simply
With hope
Good morning.
For me, this so beautifully synthesizes and combines into a coherent whole..what communication is!
I think it is only when we are able to communicate at this seemingly so simple level, that we can truthfully say we are good communicators…..just sayin’

3 comments:

  1. I'm very shy [Or so they say].... I usually smile back and sometimes make a slight bow when I don't say anything.... At least I'll be friendly! :D

    This article has reminded me of how intricate human communication can be... It has especially reminded me of this humorous dialogue between two fictional characters by Tolkien... Enjoy!

    "Good Morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it. The sun was shining, and the grass was very green. But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out further than the brim of his shady hat. "What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?" "All of them at once," said Bilbo.

    ...moments later...

    "Good morning!" he said at last. "We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water." By this he meant that the conversation was at an end. "What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!" said Gandalf. "Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off." — J.R.R. Tolkien

    LOL Just sayin'
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, Well a good morning to you Richard...simply meaning...how happy I am to see you and I hope the rest of the day is great..and an adventure would be wonderful..: )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh Good day to you too then.... :D

    ReplyDelete